Do you enjoy art, music or dance? Do you have an interest in writing, producing films or taking photos? Then unleash your inner artist by entering the Barrett and National PTA Reflections contest.
Students are encouraged to explore their artistic talents and to submit theme-based works of art in one or more of these six categories: Dance choreography; film production; literature; music composition; photography; visual arts (which includes art forms such as drawing, painting, print making, and collage, 3D artworks).
Dance Choreography: Solo and ensemble works of all dance styles are accepted. Entrant must be the choreographer and may also be the performer, or one of the performers. If background music is used, cite it on the entry form. Video file must not exceed 5 min. and 1 GB in size. Accepted formats: AVI, FLV, WMV, MOV, MP4.
Film Production: Accepted short film styles include: Animation, narrative, documentary, experimental or media presentation. Use of PowerPoint is prohibited. Entrant must be the screenwriter, cinematographer, editor and producer. If background music is used, cite it on the entry form. Video file must not exceed 5 min. and 1 GB in size. Accepted formats: AVI, FLV, WMV, MOV, MP4.
Literature: Accepted forms of fiction and nonfiction include: Prose, poetry, reflective essay, screen play and play script, narrative, and short story. Entrants may write in their primary language as long as an interpretive English translation is also attached. Use of copyrighted material is prohibited. Writing must not exceed 2,000 words and may be handwritten or typed. Accepted formats: Single-sided print on 8 ½x11” paper, PDF file.
Music Composition: All music styles and combinations of instrumentation are accepted. Entrant must be the composer and may also be the performer, or one of the performers. Use of copyrighted material is prohibited. Audio file must not exceed 5 min. and 1 GB in size. Accepted formats: MP3, WMA, WAV, ACC, FLAC. Notation (score/tablature) in PDF format is only required for middle and high school divisions.
Photography: Photo must be a single print/digital image. Collages and collections of photos are not accepted. Entrant must be the photographer and may use a variety of digital editing techniques including but not limited to, multiple exposure, negative sandwich and photogram. Use of copyrighted material is prohibited. Print image dimensions must be no smaller than 3x5 inches and no larger than 8x10 inches. Accepted print formats: Mounted on mat or poster board no larger than 11x14 inches. Framed prints are not accepted. Digital image dimensions must be at least 640x960 (pixels) and 300 dpi (resolution). Accepted file formats: JPEG, JPG, GIF, PNG.
Visual Arts: Works of both fine and design arts are accepted, including but not limited to: architectural drawing and models, ceramics, collage, computer generated images and graphics, crafts, drawing, fashion clothes and jewelry, fiber work, mixed media, painting, printmaking and sculpture. Use of copyrighted material is prohibited. 2D artworks must be mounted on sturdy material and no larger than 24x30 inches with matting. Framed entries are not accepted. Include one digital image of artwork with your submission. 3D artwork submissions must contain 3 digital images of artwork at different angles. Image(s) are used for artwork identification, judging and exhibition purposes.
Please read the specific Rules for each category before submitting your entry/entries. The Rules can be found at: https://www.vapta.org/programs/arts-and-education/reflections-top.
- Please do not put your name on the actual artwork (front or back). If you do, we will need to tape over it to ensure blind judging of entries.
- Please package your artwork in a manila envelope/folder and attach a fully-completed Student Entry Form to the envelope/folder.
- All entries submitted must be original, new pieces of artwork inspired by the current year’s Reflections Program theme (i.e. “Look Within”).
- Each entry must be the work of one individual student. Assistance from teachers, parents, or friends is not permitted except in special cases such as students with disabilities.
- Other individuals may appear in or perform a student’s work, but the work itself must be the creative product of one student.
- Use of copyrighted material is prohibited, except for background music in dance choreography and film production entries when cited.
- Students may enter in one or more arts categories.
- Entries will be judged on how well the student uses his or her artistic vision to portray the theme, originality and creativity.
The theme is “Look Within” and submissions will be considered in two age groups – grades K-2 and grades 3-5. The deadline for submission of entries is October 25, 2019. Please submit all entries in the Reflections box in the Barrett School Library. The winner of each category and age group will win a $20 Target gift card!